Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Blood Results = MTHFR

This afternoon I met with my Ob/Gyn to discuss the results of my recurrent miscarriage blood work. Originally we were also going to discuss the results of my HSG but it was cancelled. Well I did receive some news. My Dr. discovered that I have MTHFR; a rare genetic disorder that causes blood clots in my body. There is no cure, but things can be done to prevent it. He wants me to start taking a baby aspirin everyday. He has also prescribed me a high dosage of folic acid to take as well. My pnv has folic acid, but the prescribed version has 16x the folic acid as my pnv. He is 99% sure that this has been the cause of my two miscarriages. Carriers of MTHFR have a higher chance of miscarriages, recurrent miscarriages, high-risk pregnancies and high blood pressure during pregnancies to name just a few complications. None of this sounds good to me, but I'm prepared for everything and I know with John's support and love we can make it through this.

As for my HSG, this will be perform in November when I return from my vacation. He said for me he will do it any day of my cycle. So I don't have to wait until CD 10. I penciled in my HSG for November 7 so this might be the day. It's first thing in the morning, so hopefully he will not have any surgeries that day.

I'm feeling sad knowing this information. I feel like I have a long journey ahead of me. The good news is that I can definitely conceive, but we shall see what happens. I just feel like I am at a high risk for everything when it comes to pregnancy. After talking to him, I'm pretty sure that my sister is also a carrier of MTHFR. She had two pregnancies, but with her second one, it was high-risk and she had to be on bed rest throughout the whole 9 months. Thank God, that she delivered a healthy boy and he is as healthy as one can be. So seeing her gives me comfort that it can happen, although she never had a miscarriage, and I all ready had two.

While I was there this afternoon, it seemed like everyone women in the office was expecting. I felt pretty sad seeing most of them with their baby bumps. I wish I was the one with my little baby bump and expecting soon.

As for now, I'm ready to depart on Friday and ready for my vacation. It will be so good to be away with my family and not have to think about TTC. I can't wait to see my sister, nephews, grandmother, and family. I think I really needed this vacation more than anything.

6 comments:

Tara said...

Hey there-
I'm sorry you are feeling bad about your results, but it is also good that you have some answers. I will see you tomorrow and we can chat about it more!

Shanny said...

Glad that you have a plan. Sad that you have MTHFR, but its good to have an answer and a plan to make sure you get a healthy baby. You are being strong knowing that you are prepared to do what it takes and like you said with John's support and love you'll definitely get trough this. I'll be sending you positive vibes through out your journey, for now I hope you have fun with your family!

♥Tara said...

hey hun,
i'm sorry about your results, but i'm pretty sure that aplaca got the same news and is now carrying twins! so definitely try to stay positive and i'll be thinking of you!
GL with your HSG sweetie!

Mary said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your results. But, you have a game plan! I'm thinking of you!

Shannon said...

Hey hun! Im sorry that you got some bad news but I am hopeful that now you know, it can be managed.

ENJOY your trip and have fun! (((hugs)))

Amy said...

I'm sorry about your results, but it's great that you have a plan and something can be done. I'll be praying for you!